Friday, August 21, 2015

Time to Reflect: Who Are You Becoming?

“Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” John Wooden
Hinnamsaisuy*
Being in stressful situations can lead to a whole host of issues that can be exacerbated when you do not take the steps needed to alleviate that pain.
My thanks to many of you who commented on one of my last posts about having to take a step back from one of my work groups. The group was becoming stressful for me and I really did not like the environment or who I was becoming in the process of spending a lot of time with these people. I had to step back!
For me, life is a continuous, learning journey, full of highs, lows and in-betweens. Going through this current experience, I had to ask myself, “Who are you becoming?” When we spend large amounts of time with people (or things or ideas), we should wonder about who we are becoming in this process. For me, it’s important to grow, to learn, to be kinder, to be more compassionate. Am I moving toward that or away from that? If my answer is “away,” what can I do to change this situation or what can I do within myself (to either alter the way in which I negotiate in this situation or move away from it)?
What do you do? Do you take the time to reflect on your own journey?
“Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” Greg Anderson
*Courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment